Here is a pre tropical storm "Hannah" photo. This picture was taken while I was on my way home from work in the afternoon. Most of the base had been let go so Marines and civilians could have time to make necessary preparations. The drive home was very quiet and lonely, I remember how eery feeling it was knowing that I was about to experience my first few major storms alone. At this point, we all thought that Hurricane Ike would be coming through next, and we knew it was a bigger threat. This storm turned out to be very minor and occurred about 3/4 in the morning. I woke up and watched it a little bit and wasn't all that impressed. The power did go out a few times. The city was under a curfew from 7 pm to sunrise so the streets were very quiet. Just before going to bed, it was so quiet and still outside, sound wasn't traveling very far and everything felt really close. I wish I could give a truly accurate account of the situation, but it is one of those memories that you can feel better than you can express. When I woke up the next morning, I did find the storm had left me a few presents in the back yard, specifically several small tree limbs and pine cones. So the clean up was a treasure. This was a good break-in storm, and our area of Hubert probably saw less than other areas - especially since we didn't have the threat of a tornado. I feel very lucky, especially since Ike completely avoided our area too. Maybe tropical storms are afraid of Marines?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment